sábado, 4 de diciembre de 2010

What's the story behind "DESTROYA?"


Gerard Way: Because of the colorful nature of the record, I had become very interested in this festival in India called Holi Festival. It's literally the celebration of color. They take all of this pigment powder, and they throw it everywhere. By the end of the day, everybody is just covered in all of this color. I started to think a lot about religion and the caste system. Then, I went and watched a couple videos of Holi Festival, and there were a couple of street performers. I just heard this drum, but it was really hard to hear. It was like 15-seconds long, but it was 15 seconds that I latched onto and kept repeating in my head. I said, "I want this 15 seconds." Then we all recreated that 15 seconds and stretched it out so there's that wall of drums coming from nowhere. We never had a song like that. Then there's this tough-ass riff coming in and probably some of the bolder lyrics I've gotten to write. I'm proud of that one.

Mikey Way: That was a fun night in the studio. Remember we killed all the lights and set up a strobe. We had all of these drums going, and people were hitting other things too [Laughs]. It was so much fun!

Frank Iero: When I think of that song, I really think of the spirit of the band. Even in our early days when we'd have double headers, we would play the first show and be like, "Alright, everybody take it easy because we have another show coming up." We would destroy basically all of our equipment and our legs. We would just be humbled masses at the end of that first show and we'd have to go on to the next show. To now be a four-piece and start a song on just drums is this band being like, "This is the way we do it because people say we can't."

Gerard Way: Absolutely! There are a few songs on the record that start with drums, and they're arguably my favorite songs on the album.

There are so many poetic lines on the record, and "Fame is now injectable" especially stands out. Was there anything significant about that line for you?

Gerard Way: That was big one for me. That was what I had been wanting to say. I wanted the lyrics to be direct but couldn't find my voice on that first attempt. I wanted them to be these slogans that you could put on a billboard or you could say as a pirate radio DJ. It's funny because all of the slogans are very interchangeable between the corporation, the DJ and the gangs. They're all using the same verbiage and language, yet it means something different depending on who's using it. "Fame is now injectable" was a really big line for me. There are few lines on the record that stand out. "Planetary (Go!)" has a lot of them. That's what I wanted say. I'm also saying, "Faith is unavailable" as well. I feel like that's the kind of world we live in right now. Fame is injectable, but faith is unavailable to us.

Fuente: ARTIST Direct

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario